5 Hottest Plant Based Spots by Matthew Kenney in Los Angeles

Los Angeles, also touted as LaLaLand owing to its plethora of breezy palm trees and laid back vibe, with fashionistas and colorful personalities buzzing through cars and cafes, is also home to some of the best plant based spots in America. Many of these are founded by Matthew Kenney, a celebrity chef, entrepreneur, author, and educator who specializes in plant-based cuisine. Here are our 5 top picks for the season.

Double Zero

Did you know that 93% of Americans eat pizza once a week? One only has to wonder about the remaining 7%. This hotspot reinvents our favorite dish, the pizza, into a plant based treat. With the likes of pepperoni pizza with chili peppers, margarita pizza with cashew cheese mozzarella, macadamia ricotta and zucchini pizza, along with the baked "meatballs", the options are truly, truly endless. And decadent.

La Duree Plant Based by Matthew Kenney
When France's legendary dessert spot meets plant based, its a partnership to salivate for. The propensity for innovation and contemporization by La Duree is manifested through the new culinary collaboration with Matthew Kenney Cuisine. From sweet to savory, the plant-based reinterpretation of Ladurée's classic namesake dishes represent a rediscovery of Los Angeles style cuisine. While the iconic vegan Ispahan is the prettiest, our favorites are the series of macaroons in plant based alternatives, including pumpkin spice, salted caramel, passionfruit and vanilla.

Make Out
A plant based cafe and juice bar with a salacious name like make out? Yes please. Make out every day! Pressed juices, smoothies, superfood coffee elixirs, and several plant based dishes are a delight for the senses. Our favorites include the array of almond butter and infused smoothies, alongside the inventive takes on plant bowls. And did you know they squeeze their own almond milk in house?

Plant Food + Wine
Designed as a communal gathering place, this space with a magical outdoor courtyard offers a unique dining experience around decadent, health conscious food. The backyard dinner parties are a staple of Southern California, and are filled with Olive trees and greenery, alongside a private dining room and wine room. Our favorites are the buffalo cauliflower with crudites and vegan ranch, the vegan caesar salad with pumpkin seed parmesan, the very inventive avocado tikka with curry leaf yogurt and potato flatbread, the almond udon with chili, scallion, shiitake and sesame tofu and the classic cacio e pepe with kelp noodle and dried olive! So much to choose from, it's a test on one's indecision, but well worth it.

Sestina is a pasta bar concept that deviates from the Double Zero Pizza concept to a delicious foray into pasta. The cute spot has its own visible pasta making room, a custom wood burning pizza oven too, and is filled with vibrant, healthy renditions of traditional Italian pasta. Plus, local wines and even wine on tap make for a complete trip to Italy without leaving SoCal. Our favorite pastas are the spicy fettuccine, the rigatoni arrabbiata, and the seasonal butternut squash ravioli with alfredo, pepitas and pumpkin seed oil. The tie dye pizza of a trio of sauces is also salacious, with flavor in each thin-crust crunchy crumbly bite. Plus, a vibrant, dim lit atmosphere to sip and savor the night.

Plant based
Pin Me!

No comments: